What web hosting requirements?

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
HoosierDaddy

What web hosting requirements?

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Hi.

Can someone tell me what web hosting requirements are needed to use spider basic with a web host? Does one need special permissions on a Linux server or change an INI file or anything or can you just compile and upload and it will work if you're using a web host.

Also, how does the database access work with spider basic and SQL lite if the JavaScript code is only running in the browser? I used to be an ASP classic programmer and used it for DB backends and asp for the front end scripts. Just wondering if someone would mind educating me how this works?

Thanks in advance
Tim
plouf

Re: What web hosting requirements?

Post by plouf »

Spiderbasic is client side only

No special requirements in hosting.. all can work

Sql is also client side, modern browsers have sqlite local access api for sites to store small sql files and access them (local in user computer not webserver)
Christos
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Thank you. That wouldn't work for me then because I need to update a database or the same database over and over again from time to time and show the results to the end users.

It's a database hosted at a hosting site, and I was thinking I could use spider to do crud operations.

Thanks so much..
Tim.
dezashibi

Post by dezashibi »

There is a misunderstanding here, you cannot expect any "CRUD" operation by any frontend technology alone, what you need in between is an API, and the fastest way to achieve this is to use databases that provide you edge functions or graphql as a service or anything like that then you can use SpiderBasic and have it working with the API, without api no "Frontend" code can work with the server side entities. hope this helps
bembulak

Post by bembulak »

HoosierDaddy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:18 pm
It's a database hosted at a hosting site, and I was thinking I could use spider to do crud operations.
You can do the preparation for the CRUD, but you still have to send it to the server to do the CRUD (params to CGI, REST API ...).

Here is a WebSocket example: viewtopic.php?p=8704#p8704
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Hi.

Thank you souch for the replies.

I guess I didn't answer earlier about requirements.

This is a website for a small diner. They want to be able to advertise their diner and utilize the web to post a special everyday and their menu. They also want to be able to update or do crud operations on the menu. Sometimes prices go up, etc, or the menu changes.

My original thinking was to write a purebasic frontend to a SQL lite or postgress backend if possible and if purebasic supports http and has some type of wonsocket control. Then someone in the PB forum mentioned I could use Spider basic. Hence why I posted here.
.I know nothing about using APIs and JavaScript, etc. I used to be a server side programmer in classic asp and SQL server and this would have been very easy to imminent. The client doesn't want the crud frontend on the web unless it's secure which is of course easy enough.

I will check out the link you provided. Thank you so much. It's very much appreciated.
plouf

Post by plouf »

So this "site" allready exist ?
The menu on the website is already implemented somehow ?

In spiderbasic you can write the "menu" the user see in his website

This "memu" must talk to server side somehow http /websocket .

Then somethink in server side should keep rhe prices menu options etc (but tou know about server side)
Christos
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Hi Christos.

No, the site doesn't exists. Sorry. I didn't mean to confuse you. I am saying they want the site to have these features.

They want the menu to be written to the html page, and the database will in my thinking at least, hold the menu items at the webhost, and will be updated via an admn app that I would provide to the owners of the diner so they can change the menu at will.

The menu has to reside some where obviously and on the server makes sense to me. That said, there may be a better way to do this and I just don't know because I'm retired and have not coded for the web in many years.

They prefer not to use a web app because they are paranoid about someone else changing the menu, or breaking into the website.

There are also plate lunch specials daily for instance that will appear on the welcome page according to the day of the week. I hope to put these specials in a table in the DB and then query the table and write out the current days special on the welcome or landing page.

They also have a news item they want to update and write out to the welcome or landing page. This also needs to be updated at will. etc. All of this I hope to save in a database on the webhost and query to write out to the html page, or PHP or whatever I use to implement this.

I'm thinking I may use a PB app to give the owners of the website and admin app to do these updates. This will alleviate their concerns about having an admin web front end, and hopefully allow me to imminent this website for them.

Hope I was able to help you understand here.

Thanks so much for the reply. It is much appreciated.

Tim
bembulak

Post by bembulak »

Sounds quite interesting!
Where’s the DB located? At the webhost or ‚internally‘ (DMZ)?
Where does the menu get updated from?

I’m on the phone at the moment, so I just can’t provide all the information and grafics/flowcharts I want, but I’ll be right back in a few hours.

Basically I think you can find a solution with a lot of tools, and YES also with SB, but at some point you will need the CRUD and that is something SB (or any clientside web frontend) does not provide. You’ll need some intermediate layer (API/REST/cgi/jsp/asp/..) that will do that for you on the sever.
bembulak

Post by bembulak »

Left Side
You'll need a program on the web server to do the CRUD. SpiderBasic just can create the 'requirement' for the CRUD from the Office, but can not do the changes on the backend db. You'll need some program on the Webserver (or an underlying system) to do that for you (php, node, python ...)

Right Side
Any program can do the CRUD for you. PB, for example, but SB also can't do it, as it can not directly alter the Backend. It's a Web/Client-side technology.

That's not a flaw of SB - that's just how the web works.