Will Spiderbasic be further developed?

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

I haven't heard or read anything about it since December 2020.
It would be nice if the developers could comment on it.
bembulak

Re: Will Spiderbasic be further developed?

Post by bembulak »

I cannot speak for the Dev(s), but at the moment I assume the following (it's just what I'm thinking without any proof):
  • There are just a few developers, and it might not be their main income. PureBasic & SpiderBasic might be more of a "pocket money".
  • COVID-19 hit humankind tremendously. Some might have to mourn for losses of loved ones, some might have to fight each and every day to pay the bills. Some might have both. Though I have my personal feelings of impatience and hope for new releases, new features etc., I calm myself down. It's hard to work for 8+ hours and do a hobby project while you have family and kids. Everyone fights a battle we do not know anything about.
  • Maybe there is/was a design decision, that has to be bypassed. It might be a new library, a new framework, whatever. I could imagine that it's hard to create such a product when the world is turning faster and faster. This might not be an excuse for silence, but I guess the development world has changed a lot in the last years. With tools such as Flutter, B4X, Godot, Löve4Lua, ... and a huge emphasis on mobile first + web (with a small footprint) it's hard to satisfy those hard-boiled-pointer-shooting PureBasic-developers (as a main audience maybe?) and newcomers as well.
These are just some thoughts I do have whenever my impatience kicks in. Please keep in mind, that English is not my mother tongue and some phrases might sound a little odd, but all of it is just a try to explain the situation.
Nevertheless I also would appreciate a statement by Fred.
perb

Post by perb »

Nobody knows. I think he is working actually on purebasic, big changes are comming. In theorie, he could also make purebasic compiling to webassembly which would make the maintainance more easily and would be more performant than transcribing to javascript.
bembulak

Post by bembulak »

Another Explanation I had yesterday: Apple's M1 CPU (and their policies for products) might also be challenging. Making all the existing PB-stuff work flawlessly on Apple's new OS & CPU seems a huge task to me.

But all these explanations (for myself to not get impatient) can't go on forever …