Oracle free cloud services

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
bembulak

Oracle free cloud services

Post by bembulak »

Stumbled over this link a few days ago.

https://cohost.org/awakecoding/post/384 ... erver-with

Long story short (with a little flavour from my personal experience so far):
  • Oracle offers free cloud services. Seems like they want to compete with others.
  • As Cloud-Computing costs are sometimes hard to calculate, this is a nice to have, as they promise to stop the services once they cause costs and ask for permission (and payment). So it's not that ... dangerous. :)
  • I played around with it and so far, I'm positively surprised. Having a new Ubuntu VM up and running within minutes is really nice. And it's more than just Apache-MySQL-PHP.
plouf

Re: Oracle free cloud services

Post by plouf »

After ,not eclusivelt, java/mysql .
Do you trust the word "free" in companion with oracle ?...
Christos
bembulak

Post by bembulak »

plouf wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:46 pm After ,not eclusivelt, java/mysql .
Do you trust the word "free" in companion with oracle ?...
:D
No, absolutely not. But as long as these services are freely available, I'll use them to hone my skills. Where else could you play around with such things without costs? Azure and AWS give you the creeps once you try to calculate the costs for a machine.
tj1010

Post by tj1010 »

Storage is too easy to get.. Wait till you have to start worrying about fail-over and have to start shopping for BaaS push services; FYI none of them stay n business long..

I think between Google, Verizon, and Mega I have like 300GB of cloud storage I've never paid 0.01 for, and they all have APIs.. Most companies give storage away packaged with other services that are usually free too.. Storage barely plays a part in product scaling...
bembulak

Post by bembulak »

It's not only the storage. I'm talking about the complete stacks of Infra, where you can build DMZ, have dedicated servers in dedicated VLans for a task and such. Storage and/or a LAMP stack is easy to get, but once it gets to IaaC, Terraform, Kubernetes, Docker & Co it is a little harder for a mere individual.

Anyway—it's an offer. Nothing more, nothing less.