Has SpiderBasic Development Stopped

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Rinzwind

Re: Has SpiderBasic Development Stopped

Post by Rinzwind »

It certainly seems so. Would not touch it right now. A final was never released of the last beta of 1.5 years ago, last reply of author is almost 1 year ago and it is a yearly maintenance license... sooo up to you.

Feature wise, a grid gadget is missing, there are some clunky syntax restrictions and it seems dynamic layout is not available by default (which is weird for web). As is a designer of any kind. Well, I keep an eye on it should development continue eventually. Possibly sales are a disappointment. Crowded market space.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Rinzwind wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:20 amFeature wise, a grid gadget is missing
The ListIconGadget is based on the dgrid, which has some nice features. Unfortunately, there are no native commands to programming dgrid directly. I have written some extensions for the ListIconGadget, where you can see how the grid is addressed using JavaScript.
Rinzwind wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:20 amand it seems dynamic layout is not available by default (which is weird for web).
SpiderBasic was developed to create pixel-perfect desktop-like applications with a PureBasic syntax for the web. And this works quite well.

Creating responsive layouts is not the domain of SpiderBasic. Nevertheless, you can create quite good results with the dialog library.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

It's not dead, it's on hold until I can finally release PB 6.0. It shouldn't take too much time now.
Rinzwind

Post by Rinzwind »

Peter wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:00 am
Rinzwind wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:20 amand it seems dynamic layout is not available by default (which is weird for web).
SpiderBasic was developed to create pixel-perfect desktop-like applications with a PureBasic syntax for the web. And this works quite well.
Even a pixel perfect (do not forget about OS scaling/hi-dpi) form wants to be resizable frequently and one expects kind of iOS like smooth interfaces nowadays. Anyway, good to see a reply of the author.
bembulak

Post by bembulak »

Fred wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:48 pm It's not dead, it's on hold until I can finally release PB 6.0. It shouldn't take too much time now.
Good to here! I’m eager for using it, but don’t want to start riding a dead horse.