Twitter and Facebook access

Got an idea for enhancing SpiderBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
MrTAToad

Twitter and Facebook access

Post by MrTAToad »

Would be nice to be able to post to Twitter. I presume Facebook users would also like to be able to do the same to that too.
SparrowhawkMMU

Re: Twitter and Facebook access

Post by SparrowhawkMMU »

Hi MrTAToad ,

You probably already know this but just in case:

You can post to services like Twitter etc using their developer APIs. Twitter for example offers RESTful endpoints - the docs are here: https://dev.twitter.com/rest/public

Currently however, SpiderBasic's HTTPRequest() command only supports GET and POST which makes it unsuitable for RESTful services . Setting custom headers is not available either which makes SB unsuitable for , eg , JSON RPC calls unless you control the API yourself and can allow through requests with invalid headers from known origins, as I currently do with our in-house systems.

I have put in feature requests for both of these and Fred has indicated that he is looking into them. I am very much hoping that they make an appearance in SB2.0 as that would open up using SpiderBasic to a much broader set of use cases. Fingers crossed.

Once SB has the above features, it should be possible to wrap the API calls for Twitter etc into modules fairly easily.
MrTAToad

Post by MrTAToad »

Oh yes - the main problem is they dont really make things easy to use...
SparrowhawkMMU

Post by SparrowhawkMMU »

Never a truer word! :D