Really new user

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
aldewacs

Really new user

Post by aldewacs »

Hello Spiders;
The most basic question of all: I am looking to educate myself on the issues related to writing an app in Spider, and...
WHAT is a good book(s) to learn how programs like my Spider App get onto, and "live" on a webserver.
I need to run Windows on there... what is involved?

As I said ... very basic.

(In addition, I also want to learn how I can marry a PureBasic app to a Spider "version" of the same app functionality.)

Greetings!
"Always boring, never bored."
Peter

Re: Really new user

Post by Peter »

Hello aldewacs,
aldewacs wrote:WHAT is a good book(s) to learn how programs like my Spider App get onto, and "live" on a webserver.
As far as I know, there is no book to learn about SpiderBasic (yet).
aldewacs wrote:I need to run Windows on there... what is involved?
nothing special. Just download and install SB. Run it and everything works fine.

If you want to access the data of a web server, use the HTTPRequest() - Command.
aldewacs wrote:(In addition, I also want to learn how I can marry a PureBasic app to a Spider "version" of the same app functionality.)
In some cases, PureBasic code can also be executed with SpiderBasic. Much of the code is compatible. For some commands, there may be differences in the parameters. You also have to keep the following things in mind:

* There is no event loop in SB. Events must be queried with the Bind*() commands.
* You are not allowed to access the hardware of the computer directly.
* You are not allowed to use Windows Api commands.

But your question is too general at the moment to be able to deal with it concretely. Start with simple code examples and if problems arise, feel free to ask the corresponding questions here.

Greetings ... Peter
aldewacs

Re: Really new user

Post by aldewacs »

Peter wrote:Hello aldewacs,
aldewacs wrote:WHAT is a good book(s) to learn how programs like my Spider App get onto, and "live" on a webserver.
As far as I know, there is no book to learn about SpiderBasic (yet).
Peter: I was not clear apparently. What I meant was: given that I might have a Spider Basic program written, that program has to "live" somewhere. That's th sort of book I was asking about - presumable, that book would not even mention "Spider Basic"
aldewacs wrote:I need to run Windows on there... what is involved?
nothing special. Just download and install SB. Run it and everything works fine.
Peter: as above, 'where' and 'how' does the SB basic reside?

If you want to access the data of a web server, use the HTTPRequest() - Command.
aldewacs wrote:(In addition, I also want to learn how I can marry a PureBasic app to a Spider "version" of the same app functionality.)
In some cases, PureBasic code can also be executed with SpiderBasic. Much of the code is compatible. For some commands, there may be differences in the parameters. You also have to keep the following things in mind:

* There is no event loop in SB. Events must be queried with the Bind*() commands.
* You are not allowed to access the hardware of the computer directly.
* You are not allowed to use Windows Api commands.

But your question is too general at the moment to be able to deal with it concretely. Start with simple code examples and if problems arise, feel free to ask the corresponding questions here.

Greetings ... Peter
Peter: thank you for taking the time to provide guidance!
"Always boring, never bored."