directory function

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
RobertRioja

Re: directory function

Post by RobertRioja »

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, you are right; in my manuals I often described what the product did NOT do. I mostly worked on life support systems. In other words, things that are designed to keep people alive. If the thing fails, people die. So errors are not allowed. And misunderstandings lead to errors. So my manuals described in great detail what the thing does, and does not do. They also explained to the user what to do, and what not to do. All this even though the user had to be a licensed professional who was expected to know exactly what he/she was doing. That is the only way we could get through the most demanding regulatory agencies throughout the world.

But good writing practice is not limited to life and death situations. For example, if you ever read "JavaScript The Definitive Guide" by David Flanagan, you read in the chapter titled "Introduction To JavaScript" what JavaScript is NOT, before you read about what it IS. I read this book some 20 years ago and it was an eye opener for me.

Regarding SpiderBasic, even though it obviously cannot be used in life support systems, it should be accompanied by excellent documentation. I downloaded the free version and tried it out. It took all this time to understand what it can and cannot do. Someone with less time and patience might have given up and unistalled it. I wonder how many sales of the paid version have thus been lost. This translates to lost revenue for the developers.

Therefore, my offer still stands. If the developers would like my help with documentation, all they have to do is contact me.

Thank you for your time.
Robert