Android - SB's API 25 vs Google Play's API 26

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
C.K.

Android - SB's API 25 vs Google Play's API 26

Post by C.K. »

Hi guys,

I cannot upload my spiderbasic app! When I upload I get a message about my API Level 25...

"Meet Google Play's target API level requirement
Google Play will require that new apps target at least Android 8.0 (API level 26) from August 1, 2018, and that app updates target Android 8.0 from November 1, 2018.
"

Anyone has a solution or workaround, please?

Thx in advance
DanLJr

Re: Android - SB's API 25 vs Google Play's API 26

Post by DanLJr »

Has this been resolved with SB yet? If not, have you found a workaround to allow you to deploy?

I just bought SB myself rather recently (after testing and developing in the free version for a little while first; now I'm stepping up to build a SB/PB/SpiderBite app (for eventual release on Android and iOS) and now I'm moving quickly forward toward release. (On the SB-front anyway.) I will be purchasing PB and implementing SpiderBite in the near future.

I'm concerned that I will run into similar issues come release-time for my app. I'm always on a tight timeline with these type of things, so I can't afford difficult surprises that hold us up at deployment time.

Fred/SB Team... Any updates available? If not, any dates planned/announced for updates to be released? Any word from you might offer some peace of mind to those of us tackling these release-compliance concerns.

Great product to code with thus far, btw!
C.K. wrote:Hi guys,

I cannot upload my spiderbasic app! When I upload I get a message about my API Level 25...

"Meet Google Play's target API level requirement
Google Play will require that new apps target at least Android 8.0 (API level 26) from August 1, 2018, and that app updates target Android 8.0 from November 1, 2018.
"

Anyone has a solution or workaround, please?

Thx in advance
C.K.

Post by C.K. »

Has this been resolved with SB yet? If not, have you found a workaround to allow you to deploy?
Unfortunately not yet; And not working workaronds...
DanLJr

Post by DanLJr »

Have you heard back privately (or on another thread) about this issue from the SB team at all?

Not to be a negative-nanny, but SB being a subscription service, is really supposed to be ahead of the curve and keeping everything behind-the-scenes fully up-to-date, otherwise what's the point?

In my opinion, SB must absolutely, positively resolve these types of issues with the utmost haste and priority, or they should not be in the subscription business. Also, as a language, it's not feasible for commercial use, if it's this far out-of-date on something so crucial. Creating/publishing Android apps is one of the core purposes of using SpiderBasic - its a key part of why the language exists in the first place! This stuff MUST be kept up-to-date, IMO, otherwise, unfortunately, SpiderBasic becomes nothing more than a neat toy for many of us.

I can't tell my clients, "Sorry, the program you paid me to write is great, but I can't release it on the promised platform because my language's publishing support is out of date, there is no work around, and there is no more information at this time, so just wait indefinitely..."

How well do you think that conversation is going to go?

I'm about to start a fairly large, long-term project and was going to buy PureBasic (I already subscribe to SB) and use SpiderBasic + SpiderBite + PureBasic + PureVision (PV for some quick admin form building) to develop this project, but now I'm seriously concerned that I won't be able to release the Android app on the Google Play store, which is ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED in the spec - and we are on a fairly fixed timeline. This whole situation is sad, and greatly concerning.

Where is the development team in all of this? Why has this update been ignored for so long if it's been required since August 1st of this year? (It's nearly mid-September now.) Shouldn't this have been updated BEFORE the cutoff date? What do we do? Are we all just stuck? Again, not trying to be a downer, but if this is how the future looks for SB, well I'm suddenly pretty afraid right now to walk this path. I may have to invest in different tools, because this AMAZING language/compiler just doesn't seem to have the necessary support required to stay up-to-date so we developers can count on it commercially.

Any additional information? Can anyone give me some hope? I WANT to feel good and continue with this platform, but silence will force me to move on, because I have REAL WORK that needs to be done and no time to waste hoping for an answer that may never come.

I'm nervous about this situation - very nervous, and now I'm super-apprehensive about moving forward at all. Not good.

PLEASE, someone from the SB/PB team, give us an update!!! I WANT to believe... ha ha, but seriously... Is SB a dead product? I shudder to think...

Please help. Please, someone tell me I'm just panicking and that everything is under control, an update is on the way, and future plans for SB include being fully updated on this stuff before any hard cutoffs? Pretty please?
C.K. wrote:
Unfortunately not yet; And not working workaronds...
Paul

Post by Paul »

If your choice was to use SpiderBasic for Android and iOS development then unfortunately you didn't do your homework.
Just look through the Bug Reports section to see even the simple problems that need fixing and also all the various inline java that has been posted for various workarounds that should be supported out of the box... and that's just for web app side of things, mobile support looks like it was patched on top due to all the extra work needed to export and sign your apps.
The last SpiderBasic release was almost a year ago and it really is no more that a cool toy at this point in time to tinker with. Certainly not ready for commercial development compared to other options out there. Google also announced the platform level requirements almost a year ago as well so its not like these are a total surprise. I guess the good thing is that many large well know companies are bypassing the Google store and releasing apps on their own so it proves you can release apps without Google and their level restrictions.

I personally wanted nothing more than to develop web and mobile apps using SpiderBasic but ran into to many walls/bugs/stumbling blocks using the demo. SpiderBasic is simply to young and has a lot of grow to do. Other development options out there are releasing updates almost every month just to keep up with all the constant changes in the mobile platforms themselves and Google and Apple's ever changing rules.
Last edited by Paul on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
DanLJr

Post by DanLJr »

I did my homework and I'm aware of the bugs, but I understand your perspective.

I tested by writing nearly 800 lines of code in the free version first, learning the "PB/SB way", and everything I need to do has proven to work in SB - it's shown to be stable and runs as-expected pretty much everywhere browser-and-desktop-OS-wise. I bought the product at that point and have continued to develop extensively with SB. For the most part, I'm Ok on mobile and desktop web. Yes, there are bugs and unexpected behaviors here and there, but I've never have a problem finding another way to solve the problem, and in the end, SB v2.20 has proven to be usable to produce a perfect working result for my need for which I chose it.

This new project has similar requirements, but it also requires Android deployment - for which SB seemed perfect... In July. Aug. 1, no longer viable. I need to find a different solution.

(I'm Ok with subscription, but the point is to keep up-to-date.)

So, do you have a suggestion for any good alternatives in BASIC (needs to be BASIC or no go) to SB + PB + SpiderBite for web front-end + integrated server-side dev that deploys on both iOS and Android / Google Play? I'm open to whatever solves the problem. The latest project requiring Android deployment has not started yet, but needs to within a few days, so now is the time to make a change.

Thanks for your input, and I look forward to any additional advice on good, professional, BASIC dev options that can do what I mentioned above!

-Dan
Paul

Post by Paul »

I sent you a PM as my goal is not to advertise any competition.
I really do want to see SpiderBasic become a well polished platform for Web and Mobile development. :D
the.weavster

Post by the.weavster »

It's an unfortunate situation for sure.

In future we need to make a collective effort to make sure the SB team are made aware of any breaking changes looming on the horizon from Google / Apple as soon as any of us become aware of them.
DanLJr

Post by DanLJr »

Yep. I agree completely. I think the community can be a big help here. Fred did reply to one of my posts on the PureBasic forum about this very issue with SpiderBasic Google Play deployment. I referenced this thread in my post there…

https://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewto ... 82#p526982

...and Fred said he is going to quickly update the SDK to resolve it.

It makes me feel a lot better that we are hearing back from the development team (specifically Fred) on this issue, and that he's saying that it is going to be resolved shortly (even if it is on the other forum).

This is great news!
the.weavster wrote:It's an unfortunate situation for sure.

In future we need to make a collective effort to make sure the SB team are made aware of any breaking changes looming on the horizon from Google / Apple as soon as any of us become aware of them.
-Dan L.
:: falling on my face a lot lately; learning even more because of it! ::
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Yes, I will take a look quickly.