How to use Google drive?

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
T4r4ntul4

How to use Google drive?

Post by T4r4ntul4 »

Hi all,

Iam still figuring a way to use some persistent data on a tablet for a android app.

We have the option in SB to use Google drive. (it changed not too long ago into something else iirc)

- Is it working the same like dropbox?
- if youre offline (no wifi on that time) you still have access to your files?

If thats true then we can make our own custom file format, like i did with my timelinegen.

My scenario is this:

I have a tablet on location (not connected to wifi) with a android app, if iam home i have wifi, and then it can be synced with google drive. in that app there would be a form you have to fill with alot of data, if you press save, the save file gets saved on the google drive, while still offline. is this possible? or do you always have to be connected to wifi to use Google drive?

Any thoughts on this will be very appreciated!
IdeasVacuum

Re: How to use Google drive?

Post by IdeasVacuum »

Files saved to Google Drive are initially stored in a local folder (on the Tablet/PC/Phone). If there is no Internet connection, the files should be stored in the local folder until there is, then they are auto-uploaded to Google Drive. Given that Android = Google, this should work really well, but I have not tested it because very few of my customers use Google Drive. If they have a cloud drive, it's Drop Box.

There is a snag - Google Drive has been re-named to 'Backup and Sync'. For the devices to work with it, apparently GD has to be uninstalled and BS installed. I think SB will possibly be looking for the wrong name in that case?

Edit: I think Synchronise is a better word than Upload, because the files should stay in the local folder until deleted by the User or your app. Certainly, GD (or BS) should deliver persistent file storage but PB still requires the use of OpenFileRequester(), which in my opinion is wrong on Android - your app should just work, the User should not have to find and select a dependency file, just as they do not have to on other OS like Windows, Linux, MacOS etc.

So I think SB needs to be enhanced to work 'normally' with files on Android and iOS, using functions that are separate to those specifically for web apps.

EDITED 22/09/2017 20:54
IdeasVacuum

Re: How to use Google drive?

Post by IdeasVacuum »

If we knew where in the memory SB saves a PNG file, it could be possible to read/write embedded data......... :evil: