How popular is SpiderBasic

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Johan

How popular is SpiderBasic

Post by Johan »

I'm currently experimenting with SpiderBasic and must say it looks very promising. According to this forum, which is quite quiet in relation to PureBasic, I just wonder how popular SpiderBasic is. Is it used much? For what type of applications is it being used?

Johan
e2robot

Re: How popular is SpiderBasic

Post by e2robot »

I can't say how popular it is but I have used it for a couple of "real world" projects.

I use either purebasic or python for cgi back end.

Sign control system.

Used to control a PC based digital sign system.
Includes WOL starting of PCs, shutdown and refreshing playlist after new content uploaded

Payment gateway (using python API on back end)

Does validation for valid dates, cards amounts etc in spiderbasic

Invoice and job booking system (converted from purebasic)

PDF viewing of exisiting invoices / jobs.
Job / invoice lookup
Customer searching
Invoice printing etc etc,

Door access system running on a Raspberry Pi
Drives relays on GPIO pins with python on Pi

This one is designed for a mobile phone so finger friendly buttons

regards,
Phil
SparrowhawkMMU

Post by SparrowhawkMMU »

@Phil: Nice!

@Johan: I am currently building 2 front ends for internal clients -

The first is quite a complex multi-window (10 and counting) system to handle the syndication of our content (I currently work for a publishing house). This is to replace an ageing Adobe Flex client that is no longer maintained.
The backend is one I wrote 3 years ago (PHP, MySQL, fully API based)

The second is a system to allow editors to upload content to a private hub where paying subscribers get access to extra assets (eg movies, images, sound files etc). The SB UI is mostly done, I now need to write the API !

(larger version >>> here <<<)

I should note that the first project is one I am doing in my spare time as I support the backend and there is no one who can support Adobe any longer so my clients have to come to me to update the database manually all the time.

The second comes from my boss seeing the unofficial client and asking whether I could I build the content uploader one too. :)

I should note that my day job is a backend developer (APIs, databases, data migration work etc) so the fact that I am able to build front end apps with relative ease is testimony to the power of SB I think. It's not (yet) perfect, but Fred is constantly upgrading it's capabilities and fixing bugs - he's a very responsive developer who clearly takes his customers' views into account.

There is also a very impressive interface into SAP systems written by one of the users on these forums - do a quick search for that.

Edited: Added a screenshot
Last edited by SparrowhawkMMU on Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arbrakaan

Post by Arbrakaan »

Hi all, great to see some stuff from SB.

I'm currently working on a courier software for medical laboratory.

And a WaterColor-style painter.

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Nice to see some apps :)
tj1010

Post by tj1010 »

I have experience with all the engines out there for apps and browser-apps(I have my own work plus I freelance). The only reason I don't use SB exclusively for non-desktop-binary stuff is because it doesn't build to ARM .app(IOS) and .apk(Android). I have a project that uses it but I usually go with LiveCode for things that need to work on IOS and Android. It's certainly the "cleanest" and most powerful tool like PB for Debian, OSX, and Windows; it's just limited-platform and not heavily marketed.

If you wanted to launch some browser game ASAP and were one person of any skill level it'd probably be the way to go.