SpiderBasic IDE on Chromebooks

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Charlie

SpiderBasic IDE on Chromebooks

Post by Charlie »

I decided to upgrade to an CB515-1HT Chromebook to (aside from bigger display for my aging eyes) to run SpiderBasic on ChromeOS.

Not every Chromebook allows setting up Linux (Beta) for installation and running of Linux apps. So desire to run SpiderBasic on Chromebook finally triggered the new purchase (my C720P Chromebook is too old for setting up installation of Linux apps.)

Although not necessarily for the faint at heart (i.e. not for your typical Chromebook owner), I know just enough about Linux to get this working.

If anybody else is interested in how all of this works, please check out the screenshot link below. If you have any questions, please ask away and I'll answer the best I can !

Screenshot

Installation/Configuration Notes:

SpiderBasic configuration
Preferences: Compiler: Default web server port: 8080
Huge fan of SpiderBasic, and very passionate about these other personal projects:
Charlie

Re: SpiderBasic IDE on Chromebooks

Post by Charlie »

G'day,

Just a little bump to let anybody interested know: almost a year in, and SpiderBasic (Linux 64-bit version) continues to run flawlessly on my Chromebook.

Fred, if you happen to see this. Might not be so bad for you to mention somewhere that (at least for one community member) SpiderBasic runs A-1 on a Chromebook.

To me, SpiderBasic is the coolest thing around for the hobby programmer who happens to prefer Chromebooks at home.

Cheer and best regards !
Huge fan of SpiderBasic, and very passionate about these other personal projects:
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks for the info. Do you use the Linux x64 version ?
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Yupper, 64-bit, version 2.22
cabaptista

Post by cabaptista »

Hi Charlie,

Can you describe all the steps you made to install SpiderBasic on your chromebook, please?

My name is Cesar and i also own a chromebook (ASUS Chromebook Flip C433) with linux support (debian 10), running ChromeOS v87.

I own Purebasic and i am starting to test SpiderBasic to see if it is so good as PureBasic. ;)

The steps i made so far:

1) Downloaded the free version of SpiderBasic and extract the file content into "home/cabaptista/spiderbasic"
2) Gave execute permission to launch.sh and spiderbasic file with "chmod u+x ..."
3) Tried to lauch "launch.sh" but gave me the error:
"./compilers/spiderbasic: error while loading shared libraries: libgmodule-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

So i am missing some dependencies, but which ones?

Thanks in advance.
cabaptista@Portugal
cabaptista

Post by cabaptista »

Hi again,

I have advanced trying to install SpiderBasic on my Chromebook by discovering the missing dependencies.
The next steps i made were:

4) Gave execute permission to sbcompiler file with "chmod u+x ..."
5) installed the dependencies: libglib2.0-0:i386, libcairo2:i386, libgtk2.0-0:i386, libcurl4:i386 and gtk2-engines-pixbuf:i386.

Then i executed "./launch.sh" and the IDE opened. ;)

Ok, now the problems:

1) When i launch the IDE in terminal gives me several errors:

** (spiderbasic:5652): WARNING **: 23:28:00.084: Invalid borders specified for theme pixmap:
/usr/share/themes/CrosAdapta/gtk-2.0/assets/Others/null.svg,
borders don't fit within the image

(spiderbasic:5652): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 23:28:00.084: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(spiderbasic:5652): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 23:28:00.084: gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(spiderbasic:5652): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 23:28:00.084: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

2) When i quit the IDE gives me error:

"An Error has been detected in the IDE! Error: Segment violation."

Then let me ask you, which web server do you use to run the SpiderBasic code and how to setup it ?

Thanks in advance.
cabaptista@Portugal