Problems with StringsGadgets with iOS Browser

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Dirk Geppert

Problems with StringsGadgets with iOS Browser

Post by Dirk Geppert »

Unfortunately SpiderBasic Apps have a problem with iOS browsers. When tapping into an StringGadget, the page will scrolled and the cursor placed in another field.

You can try it here: http://212.111.241.220/tools/test/spider/index.html

And the same implemented with Pb2Web (jQuery): http://212.111.241.220/tools/test/pb2web/index.html

Code: Select all

! $("body").css("overflow", "auto");
 ! $(document).off("scroll");  

Enumeration FormWindow
  #hWnd
EndEnumeration

Enumeration FormGadget
  #Gadget_Text_Advice
EndEnumeration

Procedure OpenhWnd(x = 0, y = 0, width = 360, height = 2000)
  OpenWindow(#hWnd, x, y, width, height, "", #PB_Window_BorderLess)
  TextGadget(#Gadget_Text_Advice, 10, 10, 340, 100, "")
EndProcedure

Procedure Main()
   Protected a, n = #Gadget_Text_Advice + 1

OpenhWnd()

SetGadgetText(#Gadget_Text_Advice, "Browsers on the iPhone (iOS) have difficulties entering text when the page needs to be scrolled.")

For a = 100 To 2000 Step 50
     StringGadget(n, 0, a, 360, 30, Str(n) + ". Try to type some text here..", #PB_String_PlaceHolder)
     n + 1
   Next

EndProcedure

Main ()

Dirk Geppert

Re: Problems with StringsGadgets with iOS Browser

Post by Dirk Geppert »

Can anyone confirm the problem?
Dirk Geppert

Post by Dirk Geppert »

Mmmh, too bad that nobody doesn't even want to confirm it. :(

What I also noticed in this context is, that Spider text fields cannot be marked.
The following picture shows a comparison (links above) with jQuery.

Left: jQuery, the text can be marked. Right: the text cannot be selected.

Why is that? Can this be changed by attributes in the DOM?

Ciao Dirk
Peter

Post by Peter »

Dirk Geppert wrote:Mmmh, too bad that nobody doesn't even want to confirm it. :(
Give me an iPhone and I'll try to reproduce it. ;-)
munfraid

Post by munfraid »

Just tried the forms in the link an can confirm the problem. I can select the first string field and type in some text. Selecting the second field is not possible - the focus jumps to the third field, where the same problem appears again. Looks like a bug.

The second implementation with Pb2Web works as expected. Tested on iPhone 7 / iOS 12.
DanLJr

Post by DanLJr »

Fred, Peter, Et Al,

This same bug is biting me right now on an app I've built that is just about ready for live release… We started formal user testing with the app, and as soon as we got them on real devices we started running into this problem. Help! This is an absolutely essential feature that needs to work for any of this stuff (as in: software created with a SB front-end ) to be useful.

Please offer a workaround, or update SpiderBasic ASAP with a fix. (Without a fix, I fear I may need to re-write my entire front end and something else, as I can't wait indefinitely, and I can't release my product as is.)

I'm a little frightened, and a little bothered about this right now. (This problem hit me by surprise at the end of the project, because I have no problem testing locally on very screen sizes and such – I thought we were going to be good on mobile, as that's the whole point here!)

Please provide a fix so that this very basic expected usage works properly. Without it, what's the point? (I simply can't use anything in production like this!)
Peter

Post by Peter »

DanLJr wrote:Fred, Peter, Et Al,
I'm sorry, but I don't own an iPhone and I don't use any other Apple products.

Greetings ... Peter (by the way not part of the SB-Developerteam)
DanLJr

Post by DanLJr »

OK. I understand that you do not. However, if you are creating a language like Fred is, you have to support all of the common front ends. The entire thing is useless if it can't run on half the phones in the country.

It sounds like this really needs to be fixed by Fred ASAP. (Functioning on iOS browser is not a "bonus" feature. It's core and necessary, and really can't be used to develop apps if iOS is not supported.)

I'm in a pickle here, because I was paid to develop an application, which I've done, but it won't run properly in the main browser that it was intended for at all because of this problem mentioned above. (This is not a small thing. This is an Earth-shattering, show-stopping HUGE problem - one that should have been announced front and center like: "Tthis product is not properly support iOS!" before I even bought the product.

If there is a quick fix, great! Then I'm happy - or at least I will be once it works. If not, this is really going to cost me a lot of time and money, and honestly, I would never have bought any of these products had it I realize this was going to be a problem.

A workaround is fine for now. Please, though... I desperately need this to be corrected, and it's going to cost me dearly if it's not.

Please, Fred. Help us. You're our only hope.
Peter

Post by Peter »

DanLJr wrote:Please, Fred. Help us. You're our only hope.
I don't know the last time Fred looked in here. I think it would be best if you wrote him a PM. Then he gets a notification by mail (I think).

Greetings ... Peter
DanLJr

Post by DanLJr »

Peter wrote:Greetings ... Peter (by the way not part of the SB-Developerteam)
You are THE MAN for SpiderBite and HTMLPreprocessor questions though, right?

BTW: Spiderbite has been a huge success for me - very simple to learn and works pretty much as documented - during the development of my first "real" project using SpiderBasic>SpiderBite>PureBasic>PostgresSQL. (Now I just have to get those text entry fields responding correctly in iOS, and I'm ready for v1 release of my first piece of software written on this platform!) You have been awesome, Peter. Keep it up!

I'm sure Fred's awesome to work with, too, but I have a feeling he's a little busier than the rest of us. :-) Fred did come through for us on the updated Google Play required API version when we were in a pinch a few months ago! I'll PM Fred about this issue once I clarify all of the details. (Like: is this constantly failing with all StringGadgets under iOS? Or just when there is screen resizing happening? - which is pretty much always in my case.)

-Dan