Android Apps

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Basicoid

Android Apps

Post by Basicoid »

I'm still unsure, if SpiderBasic is the coolest thing on earth or... not ;)

I did my first steps now, made the standard 'Hello World' and started to do some buttons on the screen which automatically be moved and resized on the display when the mobile device will be rotated. Works fine so far, seems to be relatively easy to convert existing programs (only the missing alpha blending hurts a little bit)...

...but - the 'hello world' app has a size of 25 mega bytes and all other apps will have this size as well - so when doing some small tools (programmable calculator, a small todo list, a database here and then, some tiny (!) games, tools for network, gps etc.), this will need hundreds of megabyte on my device :oops: (I don't ask who would download a tool from the play store with such a size)

Is there a (small) chance, that this will change sometime (SpiderBasic V4 or whatever)? Or could it be possible to split the functionality of an app to a generic server which has to be installed one time only and the individual part which could be of "normal" size then?

Thanks.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Android Apps

Post by Fred »

I don't think it will change anytime soon, as we need to embed the whole runtime for each app. Most of the main appstore app are much bigger than think anyway.

Note: there is a shared mode for crosswalk, which would install the crosswalk runtime on demand, but I don't think it's really good for shipped apps. That said it could be good for self dev, if you don't plan to publish your app:

https://crosswalk-project.org/documenta ... _mode.html

May be an option for a future version !
tj1010

Re: Android Apps

Post by tj1010 »

Most apps are 9MB-29MB. That spectrum includes singular tool apps made by hand in Android Studio.

I'd be far more concerned about platform access. HTTP and Sockets don't work right now and there is no sensor or GPS access. Even though they are all in the libraries that increase the size.