Android and iOS

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
IdeasVacuum

Android and iOS

Post by IdeasVacuum »

I see in the SpiderBasic v2 News:
- Added: Android App creation support (Windows version only)
- Added: iOS App creation support (MacOS version only)
What does this exactly mean? The SpiderBasic code can be compiled as an OS native application?
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Android and iOS

Post by Fred »

Yes, it creates a standard application. It's still javascript based run into a container (hybrid application). End users can't tell the difference, and with SB 2.10, the app size is very low.
IdeasVacuum

Post by IdeasVacuum »

As someone using PB on Windows OS, that is very good news, Fred :)
.... why is it that an iOS app created with SB has to be built on MacOS? I thought iOS and MacOS were two different species anyway?
Bradan

Post by Bradan »

Fred wrote:Yes, it creates a standard application. It's still javascript based run into a container (hybrid application). End users can't tell the difference, and with SB 2.10, the app size is very low.
I wouldn't call it native though. And you can usually tell the difference by the style etc. of the application.
IdeasVacuum wrote:As someone using PB on Windows OS, that is very good news, Fred :)
.... why is it that an iOS app created with SB has to be built on MacOS? I thought iOS and MacOS were two different species anyway?
You need XCode to build something for apple devices and XCode runs only on MacOS.
IdeasVacuum

Post by IdeasVacuum »

Thanks for the insight Bradan.

Fred, if using SB to go cross-platform, compiling SB code to a Windows OS app should be there too.......
Peter

Post by Peter »

since Fred switched from Crosswalk to Cordova it should be possible to compile for all supported platforms (theoretically):

https://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/late ... index.html

Greetings ... Peter
tj1010

Post by tj1010 »

As far as I know there is no possible way to build and sign an IPA under Windows. Not because of hardware but because nobody has reverse engineered the binary and server methods and implemented them in other tools..

Tools like Xojo make you kind of think you can with headers and marketing lines but it requires Xcode too.

The best you can do now is 'cloud' cross compiling. Even if someone reverse engineered Xcode methods there would be licensing issues.
IdeasVacuum

Post by IdeasVacuum »

I see - a bit more about IPA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.ipa
tj1010

Post by tj1010 »

IdeasVacuum wrote:I see - a bit more about IPA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.ipa

APK is just as easy to unlink and link, but it's the volume of API calls that keep a rogue OSS Xcode from happening. On top of no chance of monetizing the effort.